Friday, February 11, 2011

Week 3


Week 3 of Life Drawing class is coming to an end. I am starting to get back into the groove of drawing for a long period of time and drawing from real life instead of a picture. This week has been my favorite so far with drawing and I am so excited about all the tricks we are learning for proportioning the body.

Last week we looked at the spine and back muscles and this week we are looking at the front. We are learning about the ribcage and the sternum. Again, the lectures have been very interesting for me. I love learning about how everything is placed…bones and muscles.

Apparently when you are drawing the human form the main thing that helps proportion everything is the rib cage. First you want to draw a line down the center of the person…from the neck to the belly button. Where your neck meets your body down to the bottom of the rib cage is the next place you want to look. There you will draw an egg shaped form, the small top part of the egg is where the neck is. This helps your human form come out to be way more accurate.

Again, we are working on our clay models. It has been hard to get the clay small enough to be accurate. I have found out on multiple occasions that it is easy to make the clay to bulky and then the body just looks totally off balanced. But the small pieces of the clay are hard to maneuver and stick to the model without messing up other muscles already attached to the model. We have the back muscles, abdominal muscles, and gluteus muscles done.

Attached is my favorite drawing from this week. Any thoughts on things I should work on is much appreciated. 


2 comments:

  1. Hey wow that drawing is looking really nice!. The rib cage is looking really accurate. The right leg looks really box like but that could have just been the model. My only other advise is to look carefully at the foreshortened arms. I think the right arm would appear much bigger because it is coming toward you. The left arm would probably not be sticking out so far or your could lighten it a little because its receding into the background. Keep working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your drawing is coming along well, I agree that the arms are a bit short. I had this same angle actually in one of my drawings and I got the angle of the arms way off. I did not realize it till I stood back and looked at it later. Its a hard position to get right because there are so many curves happening in the body. It helps some times to take a step back and go over your angles when you are getting into the drawing, nice job!

    ReplyDelete