Friday, February 25, 2011

Week 5


In life drawing this week we have been working on our clay model. For Thursday we needed to do the adductor muscles, which are on the inside of your leg. And for next Tuesday we need to build the hamstrings, which are on the back of your leg. So far they seem pretty easy to make, most of them are just long strands. It is starting to get hard because of all the clay overlapping. Needless to say we were focused on the legs this week.

During the lectures we were taught how the legs are attached to the body and how to start drawing them. So that is what we did, we drew. We had a lot of practice this week with drawing and were focused on drawing the centerline and then the rib cage by drawing the egg shape. Then you want to draw the pelvis bone with the sacrum. The sacrum should be a third of the width, which is in between the pelvis bone. Then you start adding the legs.

I was amazed to see now that we are adding more parts how proportioned everything seems to look. It was always hard for me get things proportioned and now it seems so easy.

Also this week we had our first “long-drawing.” It was an hour and that was my favorite part of the week. I seem to draw slowly so the thirty-second poses are always hard for me. I loved being able to draw one pose for an extended period of time because we really haven’t had long poses in that class yet.

I am posting my “long-drawing” and I would love to get feedback. Amy didn’t get a chance to come around and look at mine, so it would be nice to get some critiques. Anything and everything would be helpful. 


2 comments:

  1. Nice! this is an awesome drawing. You have done a really good job capturing the foreshortening. That right leg looks spot on. For a critique, I think his right hand looks a little bit too small compared to the head. Also I feel like the pelvis would be smaller going back in space compared to the chest. Your line quality is pretty awesome. I am envious of your ability to keep your drawings so clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about the long pose, it seems like every one really benefited from it. It just gives you more time to really study the model and figure out proportion, foreshortening, everything. Looks like you are coming along well!

    ReplyDelete