Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Midterm Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60175990@N06/sets/


We are about half way done with Life Drawing class and so far I have learned so much. I have always loved drawing people and now I have the tools to really get the proportions and accuracy down.

I would say that I am definitely a hands on person, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the lecture part of the class too. It has been so interesting for me to learn about human form with the different bones and muscles. Every week we have to build more muscles out of clay and put them on a plastic model. As much as I have learned from it, I would still say it is my least favorite part. The clay muscles get to small or it is confusing because you don’t know which muscles sit next to or over lap others.

I have enjoyed all the drawing we have gotten to do and I would say my favorite ones are the longer poses. I don’t do very well with 30-second drawings. I get all flustered and feel like I need to draw the whole body instead of main points and then the whole thing gets out of control.

So far we have mainly learned how to draw the spine, pelvis, and legs. We are working on the leg muscles on our clay model and just had a lecture on knees. I love the shortcuts we have learned, like drawing an egg for the ribs, it really has helped with proportions and you will notice on all the drawings. Knowing how large things are, like the sacrum is one-third the width of the pelvis. You will see that in drawing 7 and drawing 1. Such good information I would have never known.

I would say my biggest struggles are foreshortening, proportion, and if the body is twisting. I know more practice would help, but I just cannot figure out how to really get the pose on paper.


2 comments:

  1. Your midterm drawings are looking very nice. The long ones are really well done and the gestures are working too. Foreshortening, proportion, and twisting will take a long time to get the hang of. The bridgemans life drawing book I have talks a lot about twisting bodies. Measuring things with a pencil helps a ton for proportion. Keep it up and good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your maniken looks so smooth and orderly! I also think you do a nice job with the pelvic bone especially the triangular part, i tend to make those too small all the time, especially in your drawing7. good selection of drawings!

    ReplyDelete