Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hand


This week we finally had two days of class! I don’t think we have had both days of class for about three weeks, so we got a lot of drawing time in. We have continued to learn about the arm and today we learned about the hand. Your hand and your feet are very similar with the same type of bones. Your feet have tarsal bones and your hand has carpal bones. The carpal bones are only about a fifth of your hand and are basically your wrist bones. Your hand also has an arch just like your foot. Your thumb has three bones where the other ones have four. The really interesting thing that I learned though was that your pointer fingers first knuckle is the highest, but the middle fingers bone towards the next knuckle is longer so the middle finger is the tallest. (If that makes sense).

Today we learned about the hand and then we had all of class to do two drawings. One hand from the skeleton and one from the model, each being an hour long pose. I really loved drawing from the skeleton, it seemed to come easier to me and it was the first time I got to draw from it. I sort of wish that we had the option to draw from it earlier on in the class and I am hoping we will get another chance to draw from it.

For our clay models we are almost done! It is sort of hard to believe, but then again class is starting to wind down. (Which that is hard to believe too!) We are finishing up the forearm and hand muscles and then there are a few more neck muscles to do. On Tuesday Amy is going to look at the clay models and I hope mine isn’t really off. 



2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your fingers in your life drawing! but something in the palm or the wrist is throwing me off. Also, the closeness in your thumb verses the distance of the pinky is looking good. You captured a lot of detail in your skeleton hand, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these drawing are pretty awesome. I like your shading technique. It reminds me of pen and ink.

    ReplyDelete